The answer is to this simple question is not that simple.
Truth be told, Olympiads are highly competitive, require continuous effort, passion and adaptability to study patterns and what not. This has to be one of the biggest probably why students lose their interests in Olympiads and hence the parents stop pushing the limits too. Another major reason is that due to comprehensive study culture and variety of exams of different nature continue to pop up and that in itself is a huge issue. The problems are common, every child goes through the same and takes the parent on the same ride. We cannot change competition because the numbers keep rising but we can definitely engage in a more cohesive study environment. How? By presenting the benefits that Olympiads have and how with certain basic changes there will be 360 degree change as to how one views olympiads.
“EVERY DAY DO SOMETHING THAT TAKES YOU CLOSER TO A BETTER TOMORROW”
Excelsior CodeAcademy focuses on STEM education which is Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics. A common definition is
STEM education is an interdisciplinary approach to learning where rigorous academic concepts are coupled with real-world lessons as students apply science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in contexts that make connections between school, community, work, and the global enterprise enabling the development of STEM literacy and with it the ability to compete in the new economy. (Tsupros, 2009)
STEM education gives an insight into a comprehensive culture which adapts the entire concept of engaging and practicing. The very development of the kid starts from accepting challenges and the kind of curriculum that finds its roots in STEM will develop and move forward only to successfully engage in important tasks and challenges.
Now we know how STEM can become the ultimate threshold to help kids get familiar with the idea of Olympiads.
But how necessary is it to participate in Olympiads?
Does my child need it? Will it be of any help to my kid in his school?
- The idea of a competition: Olympiads are not just only the exams they do a lot more to bring out the best in a child. Trying for and giving Olympiads motivates students to strive for better. Hence, taking Olympiads exams since younger stage inculcate the habit of taking challenge
- The proper use of skills: Olympiads problem being tricky and more conceptual help students understand the topic well. This ultimately improves routine class results.
- Analytical and Logical Development: These exams help cultivate a kind of analytical thinking in the children which is useful in any examination, be it IIT-JEE or any other competitive exam. Olympiads not only improves logical thinking and brains faster working but also give a career path to young ones.
- Role of Schools and Institutions: Olympiads help School students to test their understanding, level of knowledge and power of reasoning.
- Olympiads and India: India does not perform very well in the international Olympiads reason behind student do not have that much exposure. They are talented but are not aware of the skills required to take the Olympiad exams. Olympiad exams not only tests the basic subjects taught in school, these also enhance the analytical reasoning ability in a child. It increases the thinking capacity, problem solving skills, confidence and hence helps in an all over development of a child at a young stage.
- Future Talent Pool: Olympiad exams help to identify young geniuses. It brings out the best in students. There are various exams conducted on various subjects like Science, Mathematics, English, General Knowledge and Computers that help students to solve complex problems in no time. It is not just an exam; its objective is to provide a competitive platform to students, thus creating a talent pool for future.
- Gain additional knowledge: Olympiad exam gives a chance to students to sharpen their skills. They tackle a number of problems at a level they are not likely to encounter in their classrooms. Students gain additional knowledge and get an early exposure to competition and learning. They learn to confidently write answers. These competitions sharpen the minds of the youth.
This list is definitely not exhaustive, Olympiads are an educational culture pool where the child can find where his/her interests lie and in this booming and developing world where with every new click there is a new skill we need to push kids to strive for the best and conquer whatever is thrown at them, be it the biggest challenge of their life or the easiest Olympiad question. And that’s why your child should definitely take part in Olympiads.